The Tripp Trapp Chair is one of the most unique baby products I’ve ever seen. Made by Norwegian company Stokke, it evolves from a secure high chair for infants to an ergonomic seat for adults. The seat and footrest that adjust to hold a child at least 6 months old, and a 5-point harness holds your little one securely in place.
Tripp Trapp High Chair
Baby Set Accessory
Tripp Trapp Cushion
5 Reasons to Buy the Tripp Trapp
Although the Tripp Trapp will support a 300-pound adult, it’s most popular as a high chair for infants 6 months of age and older. It’s certified by the Juvenile Product Manufacturers Association (JPMA), an organization dedicated to ensuring safety in baby products. There are lots of benefits to the Stokke as compared to other high chairs — solid wood construction, ergonomic design, great adjustability — that I’ll cover in detail.
Solid Wood Construction
You see a lot of baby products these days made from cheap, flimsy materials. They look good initially, but don’t hold up over time and just aren’t up to the abuse that a baby or toddler can hand out. Baby furniture often seems made of particle board these days. I hate that.
The Tripp Trapp chair has no such problems – it’s constructed of cultivated beechwood to be strong and durable. A five-point harness (rather than a lap belt) holds the child firmly in place — that’s the same kind of restraint you find in most infant car seats. The H-shaped base has a smaller footprint than most high chairs, but offers a secure and stable foundation.
Ergonomic Chair Design
The Tripp Trapp allows your child to sit in a natural position for maximum comfort. The adjustable footrest can be moved so that their little feet rest flat, as if on the floor. You can adjust both the height and the depth of the chair, so that your little one can sit comfortably and close to the table. This not only helps them reach things, but reduces the gap between child and table into which food, silverware, plates, and other items often fall. Ultimately, it makes for a cleaner floor and lets your child interact better with everyone at the table.
Adjustable From Baby to Toddler
Your child can start using the Tripp Trapp at around 6 months. You’ll want to wait until he or she can sit up with assistance. At that age, he or she might be more comfortable if you get the Tripp Trapp Baby Set pictured at left.
What’s nice about the Tripp Trapp’s ergonomic design is that it will help your baby develop the muscles and posture to sit up independently. And, by bringing your baby to the table with the rest of the family, he or she will be really encouraged to do so.
You can resize the chair as your little one grows from infant to toddler – the seat and footrest have six different adjustment settings. When your child gets older, you can remove the harness and extended glider. It will even seat an adult up to 300 pounds!
A Stylish and Convenient Chair
The Tripp Trapp is more than ergonomic and solidly built: it looks cool, too! And the floor footprint is smaller than most high chairs, which is a nice benefit if you’ve ever whacked your toe on the broad metal base of one. The fact that it can adjust to suit a toddler or older child is especially nice, because you won’t have to store it or sell it.
Because of the design and solid wood construction, this chair is easy to wipe clean. I can’t stress how important that is once your baby starts eating solid food at the table. The harness can be removed and is machine-washable, too. All in all, this is one of the best high chair options out there. Go pick one out! You’ve got 11 colors to choose from.
As ergonomic and supportive as the Tripp Trapp may be, it’s still wood. Let’s be honest: your baby is used to soft Boppy cushions, strollers, crib mattresses, and the like. He or she might not tolerate a hard sitting surface for very long. For this reason, there’s a Stokke chair cushion, available in brown or pink, that fits the Tripp Trapp chair. The benefits:
- Attaches easily to the Tripp Trapp, with or without the baby set.
- Padded to make the chair more comfortable and extend sitting time
- Helps keep your baby from sliding around on the smooth surface
- 100% polyester filling and waxy coating that makes it water-resistant
- Easy to clean and great to look at!
It’s wonderful to be able to pull your baby right up to the table in the Tripp Trapp. Even so, toddlers tend to be messy eaters. They also, as I’ve recently learned, enjoy pushing foods away if they’re full or don’t like them or are just feeling crabby. You can help contain some of the mest with a tray for the Tripp Trapp made by PlayTray USA. Here are a few reasons that this is the #3 bestselling high chair accessory on Amazon.com:
- It’s easy to mount on the Tripp Trapp: slips on the sides of the chair
- Has a transparent, non-scratch surface. Perfect for eating, drawing, or playing
- Features a ridged edge to keep spilled liquids from falling on the floor.
- Safe and easy to clean.
In summary, this is one of the most flexible and ergonomic seating options for your little one. Here are five reasons you might like to buy one (or two, if you have twins).
- Solid, quality construction. The solid wood construction means it will last longer, clean more easily, and be more durable than other high chairs.
- Ergonomic support. It’s designed to support the feet and keep your baby’s spine straight. The more comfortable they are, the longer they’ll tolerate it.
- Safety certified. JPMA certifies this chair, and it has a 5-point harness to keep your little one secure.
- Sharp to look at. This will be a conversation-starter for anyone who comes to visit. It’s from Norway – how could it not be?
- Available in 11 colors. Cherry, walnut, dark blue, green, black, and a bunch more. You can find the one that perfectly matches your dining room.